Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Looking back

Today Robin posted some pictures of her adorable kids as she remembered their younger years. This got me thinking about my writing.

What?

Yeah, I know, but bear with me here. =) I thought about how good it can be to look back and see how far the kids have come since they were born. And I think it's the same with writing.

I don't know about you, but I saved copies of my early drafts. I think it might be a good idea to take a moment and look back at those first writings to see how far my work has come.

What comments would I make to the author of that first draft were I doing a critique? Were there some good moments in there that have since been cut? How horrible is this first draft, really?

So today after work, I will be looking back at my first draft and answering these (and probably other) questions. I think it might be a good exercise for each of us to stop a minute and look at how far we've come. Whether published or unpublished, I bet our work has changed since those first drafts. Please, join with me in looking back and then leave a comment to let us know how far you've come.

Write on.

1 comment:

Bish Denham said...

Great idea Joan. I'm kind of complusive about keeping everything I write...so...I'll have to do this.