Tuesday, April 11, 2006

And so it begins . . .

Ah, change. This is my first (and maybe my last) blog. Here I will share my trials and triumphs (hopefully more triumphs than trials). Each day brings me closer to my goal of publication. Yes, I am an author. My current focus is on my novel, though now and then I may deviate and work on something else. It has taken me three years to get my novel to where it is now. Three years may seem like a long time to some of you, but I think a good novel takes time. Now, don't send me hate mail if you popped your novel out in a matter of months. I'm not saying it's crap (I can't judge it if I haven't read it . . . however, if I did read it and thought it was crap, I'd tell you)! If you can pop out a really good novel in a matter of months, more power to you. I, however, will continue to spend time editing, perfecting, changing, and hopefully improving my work. I was asked "When will you make an end?" to which I wisely quoted from the movie The Agony and the Ecstasy, "When I am finished."

I am getting closer to making my end. It's the revision that takes time. Why? Well, for one thing, punctuation is not my friend (as you can probably tell from my posts). Also, I do have other obligations in life . . . namely, home and family. Being a mother and a writer is difficult, but I wouldn't change either one! I find great joy in my family (the housework, I could do without, but it's all part of the package) and in expressing myself through my writing.

Therefore, I will continue to plug away at refining and improving my novel until, at last, I am satisfied. Then I will send it out into the world, hoping for the best but always remembering the children's market is tough and there are bound to be rejections. However, I am confident that one day it will find the perfect home with the perfect publisher. It may not bring me fame and fortune (I'm not J. K. Rowling after all) but knowing that children are reading and enjoying my book will bring great satisfaction. Don't get me wrong, I expect a nice paycheck but let's be realistic here! :-) It may take a while longer, as I have to break from writing to care for my loved ones, but my novel and my family will be better for it in the end. :-)

And so, this is my blog, an inside look into the joys and pains of motherhood and writing. My vicissitudes.

No comments: